Monday, September 9, 2013

Writing and the Art of the "Writing Space"



Not many of us get the opportunity to have a writing space that is all our own. Sometimes your writing space is whatever seat is available at the fourth coffee shop you've visited. Sometimes your writing space is a train, commuting to work, or a bus commute etc. What works for you? Where are you the most comfortable when you write? Why do you think that is? If your favorite spot outside your home is a particular coffee shop, what color are the walls there? What is it about that spot that inspires your creativity? Is it the music? The coffee smells? The sounds of people chatting or typing? See what you can do in your own writing space to make it inspiring. If you don't have the luxury of a writing space, find a coffee shop that suits your creativity.

First: If you are lucky enough and you do have your own space here are a few ideas:

1. Paint your space an inspiring or calming color. 

I thought about where it was that I found myself most comfortable to write, and realized that sitting on the couch in my living room was among the most comfortable of spaces for me. The wall color in the living room is a deep, rich burgundy and I was already there, because my writing space is painted the same color. I love the rich red. It's inspiring, warm and calming. Our living room has an oriental rug, I have a different style but still beautifully patterned oriental rug in my writing space that complements the wall color.
Everyone reacts differently to colors, so find the one that suits you. Do some experimentation. Think about where you feel the most relaxed and calm and creative. What color are the walls in that space? or what color is most dominant in that space that you gravitate to. If you can, paint your writing space that color. Decorate the walls with whatever makes you feel good. I hung several pictures that I love. I have a friend who put up beautiful decals of birds on a lovely green wall color. I'm thinking of trying to ink an inspiring quote around the top edge of my walls. I'll post a picture if I do.

2. Use furniture that helps you feel comfortable physically and mentally. 

Use what you have and don't forget that you can always spend a few dollars on stain or paint to make an old piece feel new and fresh. Shop at garage sales for pieces of furniture that can be re-purposed or fixed. Pinterest has a wealth of ideas on this topic.
I was fortunate in that as a part of my graduation present from loved ones, I was able to purchase a cozy loveseat and ottoman with storage (in lieu of a desk). I also bought colorful pillows and crocheted a warm blanket.  I re-stained a wooden two drawer file-cabinet and gave it new hardware. I used existing bookshelves and a wingback chair that was my mother's. I've never felt more comfortable in a space before. That's when the title changed from "Office" to my "Writing Space."

3. Surround yourself with items that you love and items that help you get into your characters heads.

I hung up pictures I love. I have a whiteboard opposite my love seat because I like to work out ideas on it. I have a small zen rock garden, curtains that can be opened to let in light or kept closed and block out light. I have a magnetic board with magnetic poetry. The board was lovingly crafted by my supremely talented husband. I have candles and a small Virginia Woolf doll. I also have items that remind me of my characters, jewelry or small items that they might have or love. Books they would read etc. This is my "Writing Space" and I love it. When I come in here, sit down and open my laptop, I'm ready to write. I feel inspired.

4. Create a music playlist that sets the tone for your piece.

Self-explanatory. Some can write with music on, some cannot. If you can't, then create a playlist of a songs that you can listen to before diving in, then turn the music off and begin. If you can write with the music on, then enjoy the life it can bring to your writing.

5. Because it's fun, have a zen rock garden to play in when you need time to think.

I made my own out of inexpensive hobby sand, pretty rocks that I've found and some shells both from our honeymoon and from other beach excursions. I found a simple tray at a hobby store and put it all together. It cost the seven dollars for the tray and a few dollars for the sand. If you don't want a zen rock garden find something else that you can do while your mind is noodling on an idea or scene etc. actual physical puzzles, not the ones you do on computer. Play with silly putty or play-dough or clay. Learn to knit or crochet. Doing something with your hands can be a fantastic activity that allows the brain to work on your writing when you aren't writing. 
Guys, yes you too can learn to crochet! If you'd rather not, then pull out your old set of Lincoln Logs and build something, or buy a new set. 

Don't be afraid to feel childish. There is nothing like creating something with your hands that allows for more creative writing to occur. Girls, if you're not up for crocheting either, find your old blocks or Lincoln Logs, or take up woodworking, woodburning, woodcarving, mosaic tiling..... I really urge you as a writer to find something else besides writing that is your creative outlet. You'll thank me. I hope... ;-)

Second: If you don't have your own space:
i.e. You spend your writing time in coffee shops or libraries or some other public type of space...

1. Take your space with you, Have a writing bag that is your writing space wherever you go. Make sure that it is only your writing bag and used for nothing else. Pack your writing bag with everything you need to ensure a positive writing experience. Book of poetry (you'll see), Earbuds for your pre-writing ritual. I often use a whiteboard to help work through ideas. Here are a few that are portable and can fit in a pocket or a writing bag:

Check out this pocket one or the following from thinkgeek:
Think Geek

or this one I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Noteboard-Whiteboard-Folds-Full-Size-Pocket-Size/dp/B00ALL3S70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378746882&sr=8-1&keywords=small+portable+whiteboard

or try this!

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Ideaboard-Portable-Whiteboard-Laptop/dp/B00A5W0V4S/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1378747028&sr=8-10&keywords=small+portable+whiteboard+easel
If you don't want to invest in a whiteboard or can't just now, then try this: get some 3x5 or 4x6 cards. Tape them together and have them laminated. A dry erase marker will work great on this and you can make it whatever size best fits in your writing bag.
Take a small comfortable pillow or small blanket with you. You may look like you're taking up residence at the coffee shop, but writer's are known for their quirkiness right? Own it:-) 
If you don't want to take a blanket or pillow wear your favorite hoodie or sweater, whatever you feel most comfortable in, or most inspired wearing. Of course there is always the option of a sign you can hang on your table: (feel free to print off and use this version I've created!)




2. Have a pre-writing ritual that will allow you to dive into writing no matter where you are.

As mentioned above, I like to create a playlist of music that evokes the mood and tone of the piece I'm working on. I know there are a great many writers who employ this method.  I also like to pick up a book of poetry and read a few poems before I dive in. Both of these things can be achieved while writing in a public space. 
Don't forget to pack your writing bag with your favorite book of poetry and earbuds! If poetry isn't your thing, find whatever reading inspires you and take that with you.
I like to make a cup of my favorite tea, let my dog out to play while I sit on the porch thinking about the next scene I'm about to work on. 
When Rosina is ready to go inside, I take my tea, a bone or toy for Rosina and we go into my office. She occupies one side of my loveseat and I the other. She gets down to business, chewing on her favorite bone, and I get down to business working on the next scene. Eventually Rosina tires and snuggles close and snores her way through several hours of my writing time. This works for us.
When you're in a public space, find a routine that works for you. Find the best table or workspace, get your coffee or tea, open your laptap. Listen to your play list etc. Find a set routine that tells your brain that you are getting ready to write, make it all your own. What works for me may not work for you. Experiment and find out.

3. Take with you, in your writing bag, items that you connect with your character that you can either wear, like pieces of jewelry, or items you can take out and look at when considering your character. I often wear a necklace or bracelet that is something my character wears or relates to.

4. As I said, some can listen to music and write, some can't. Either way, have earbuds so that you can listen to music or find something else soothing that can help you tune out distractions. Itunes has a variety of sounds like rainforest or thunderstorms etc. that can really help.

5. If you're feeling really quirky, you can buy one of those zen rock gardens in a box and set it up wherever you are. :-)



So, here it is, my final closing idea:

No matter what space you have, no matter how small, how private or public-make it your own in any way you can. 
Feel free to share your ideas with me! I'd love to see pictures of your writing spaces, and or travel writing spaces. I'd love to hear from you about what pre-writing routine works best for you! I'll include a picture of my own writing space soon. 
Thanks for reading!
Jessica
ps I have changed the settings so anyone who wants to comment should be able to without too much trouble!

Check in next week when I write the third installment in my series:

Writing and the Art of Self-Care

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Jess, this is a treasure trove of ideas! Such a lovely post, and one I'll come back to. I write in my writing space, of course, but also in coffee shops when I just need be somewhere other than my house. I love your ideas for claiming the table at the coffee shop as a writing space!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment.